Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Back to writing prompts



While I'm researching for my upcoming thesis, I've been slacking in the creative writing department. I found a great website called The Write Practice that focuses on writing for the sake of the writing craft, and they offer a free ebook called 14 Prompts.

Basically, it gives you a pep talk and then a prompt. You write non-stop for thirty minutes using the prompt, and then put it away. The idea is to keep you writing daily, especially if you aren't sure what direction you want to go creatively.

Good writing doesn't just happen, it is something that is developed. The more you do it, the better you become (theoretically). Talent is 20% (or less) and hard work (practice) is 80%.

Using the first prompt from the free ebook, I wrote for 30 minutes, which ended up being a little over 1,000 words (4 pages or so). I didn't read what I had written, and probably won't until I'm finished with all 14 prompts.

When you don't know what to write, just write. That's my new motto.




No comments:

Post a Comment