Thursday, January 30, 2020

Revisiting Childhood Favorites



My love for books started at an early age. Reading was more than a form of entertainment, it was a form of escapism from (what seemed to be) a boring life in the Alabama countryside. I barely traveled out of the county that I lived in, much less out of the state, or --God forbid-- out of the Deep South.

In my books, I traveled the world--the real world and the worlds of sci-fi and fantasy. I learned about different cultures, languages, and customs. I traveled through time and space--getting a glimpse into ancient times, the Revolutionary War, etc.

Even with all my college degrees, I feel that the reading I did on my own throughout the years taught me more than anything a class ever could.

So, in honor of my childhood and teenage years, I'm revisiting books that made an impact--books that I've never forgotten, but have sat on my bookshelf, unread, for far too long.

I'll be adding to this list as the year passes, but here are the books I plan to revisit so far:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Sing Down the Moon by Scott O'Dell

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

No comments:

Post a Comment