Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Blue Christmas


Christmas is less than two weeks away, and while I've been doing the typical holiday things--shopping, decorating, eating too many sweets--I have to admit that this holiday season is a bit of a bummer for me and my family. My Grandfather, who was 85 years old, passed away on Thanksgiving Day, and the holidays just won't be the same without him--this year or ever. 
I got the call around 11 pm the night before Thanksgiving. Granddaddy was in the hospital and was going to have a major surgery. I arrived at the hospital a little after midnight and stayed for the next 12 hours, waiting for news. It was bad when it came. Surgery would be performed, but there was a big chance that it wouldn't be successful. It wasn't. Granddaddy died at 4:07 pm that same day. My Grandmother, and the rest of the family, was heart broken. Grandmother and Granddaddy had been married for 62 years, but it wasn't long enough. I'm thankful for the time that I had with my Grandfather. He was a great man, and a splendid gardener. I'll never be the gardener he was, but I hope to carry on the tradition of growing things that was his legacy. Love you, Granddaddy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment