Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Now that I'm back...

My Sewanee summer ended at the end of July, but I still had writing to finish up until a few weeks ago. Now that those weeks have passed,  I must get back to writing.

Don't get me wrong, I've been writing a page or two every week or so, but that just isn't going to cut it now that I don't have graduate school work as an excuse. We started back to homeschooling our kids this week, but I really can't use that as an excuse either. Ok, enough said about that.

I've decided that I will take up the "paragraph a day" challenge if I can't do any better with my writing. I should be shooting for 1,000 words per day, but I'm not holding my breath with that goal. It's something to work towards, but I'm not feeling up to it yet.

Even though it's old news, I still have to remind myself that writing is hard. It's work...and if it was easy, everyone would do it. I must repeat this to myself at least once a week. It does a writer good...really, it does.

I have started writing a few pages, here and there, for the memoir that I have planned. I know that this particular project will be a long time in the making, but I have to get started...even if it's just scratching a few lines here and there or taking notes. One of the most important things that I learned this summer (in John Jeremiah Sullivan's workshop) is that some writing requires the "iceberg effect." 80% of the work is research, and only 20% will make it into the piece. So, I trudge on....

No comments:

Post a Comment